What Is a TENS Unit?
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) units are a drug-free option for treatment, management, and suppression of pain. The device is designed to offer pain management by sending gentle nerve impulses to the nerve fiber through the skin. As a result, the nerve fiber will inhibit the pain signals from reaching your brain. We have different models of portable TENS unit devices at an affordable price that can help to relieve pain.
How Does a TENS Unit Work?
Research suggests that electrical stimulation therapy works in a few different ways:
- Sending gentle electric impulses to nearby nerves fiber through the skin inhibits the source's pain signals from reaching the brain.
- The gentle electric impulses increase the production of endorphins in the body, which act as the body's natural painkiller.
- Electrical stimulation improves blood circulation in the body by continually contracting and relaxing the body’s muscles.
The Benefits of a TENS Unit
A TENS unit can comfortably treat, suppress, or manage pain in the body without relying on medication. Here are some additional benefits these units offer:
- Controlled treatment to a specific area
- Easy to use
- Readily available as an over-the-counter pain treatment
Can a TENS Unit Be Used for Arthritis Pain Relief?
You can customize your TENS unit to offer arthritis pain relief by deciding on the intensity level, the pulse rate, and so on. If you have chronic pain, you can have your unit deliver high frequency electrical currents to help alleviate the pain.
What Are the Different Types of TENS Units?
When you're looking to purchase a TENS unit, you'll need to think about what kind of pain you have to manage. TENS units are categorized by the following features:
- Intensity Levels: The higher the intensity level, the stronger the electrical current sent from the unit. Most units offer 80mA. Higher intensity levels are usually prescribed by doctors.
- Pulse Rate: The pulse rate measures the rate at which the electrical currents are sent from the device. There are options such as 2-10 Hz for mild pain or 80-120 Hz for chronic pain.
- Channels: You can get a TENS unit with a single channel, dual channels or a quad (four channels). More wires and channels mean you can target different areas of your body at one time.
- Electrodes: You can select from wired or wireless electrodes.
Tips for Purchasing a TENS Unit Device
A TENS unit is not only easy to use but entirely safe as well. But before purchasing a TENS unit, you should be aware that some insurance providers may pay for your TENS unit, provided the pain treatments are medically necessary. You should, however, consult with your insurance provider to confirm if it will pay for the TENS unit.
Tips you need to consider when purchasing a TENS unit include:
- Before purchasing a TENS unit, you should consult your doctor or pain management therapist. A doctor or physical therapist helps determine the cause of the pain and can advise you on using the device safely. While a TENS unit is safe for use in most individuals, those who are pregnant or suffer from epilepsy should not use them.
- Let your doctor or pain management therapist be the first one to use the TENS unit on you. Before using your TENS unit at home, it's always advisable to let your doctor guide you on using the device. While a TENS unit is not complicated to operate, it's always good to learn how to use it from specialists. They help you understand where to place the electrode pads and the amount of power needed to achieve the best results for your level of pain.
- It takes time to know if a TENS unit will work for you. In addition to guiding you on using the TENS unit, you will be required to book several sessions with your doctor or physical therapist to determine whether the TENS unit will work on your pain. Doctors will try several modes on you while adjusting the settings until an optimal level is achieved. At the end of your sessions, they will advise you on the best mode for your pain.
If you’re in need of a TENS unit to manage your pain, ScripHessco offers a wide range of devices from the top brands. Order yours online today, or call our customer service line for more information!